Many pregnant women experience both low back pain as well as pelvic floor dysfunction. Research has found that urinary incontinence is common after delivery, with 45% of women experiencing this up to 5-7 years after giving birth. Pelvic health therapists at Capstone work with you through your pregnancy to reduce pain and prepare your body physically for labor and delivery. Capstone’s pelvic health physical therapists also help you get back to your normal activity level after delivery. According to the APTA, “Preventing or ameliorating incontinence before childbirth can stave off problems postpartum”.
Physical therapy can help with the following:
- Bowel and bladder incontinence
- Pelvic, tailbone, back, or abdominal pain
- Postural weakness – leading to low back, hip, shoulder, or neck pain, etc.
- Diastasis Rectus Abdominus
- Establishing a safe independent exercise program pre or post-natal.